Sunday, 14 November 2010

I Don't Like Mondays... Or Wednesdays... But Fridays And Saturdays Are Quite Fun!

My week didn't start very well on Monday. I arrived at work only to discover I'd forgot my pass so couldn't drive into the car park (where I have a reserved space no less!) and park. So I went to one of the other ones and phoned into the office. My boss answered and told me by stroke of good fortune that my brand new shiney pass was ready and all I had to do was go up to security and pick it up and problem solved! So I went and collected it, hopped back in the car and drove around to the main gate again... only to discover that my pass wasn't activated yet!!
So I went and parked up and walked in where I bumped into one of the security men who'd seen my car on the CCTV and gone to investigate. So he promised to let me in if I drove back up to the gate again - which he did.
But my pass still wasn't activated and so I had to borrow Chris's pass when I went to breakfast for my teacake from our lovely new canteen (which is self-service for breakfast). My teacake then proceeded to get stuck in the toaster and smoke was pouring out and everything and every time I tried to prod it out it just crumbled! So I had one rather burnt teacake for my breakfast!!
Then just as I thought I'd had my fair share of bad luck for the day I was forced to remember that bad luck always comes in threes when one of the big wigs came in and informed me that I'd let the MEN go with the wrong "slug" on it so it said the "Main" edition instead of the "Home"! So that was several thousand copies down the pan!
And I'd only been at work three hours!! What a day!
Thankfully Tuesday went uneventfully - or "boring", depending on your perspective - and so did Wednesday... until I got home and realised I'd left my phone and wallet at work! And of course I couldn't ring the office or any of my work colleagues cos the numbers were in my phone! So I tried ringing the switchboard but just got a recorded message to ring after 9am which was a fat lot of good! So I tried ringing my mobile in hope that someone would answer it so I could tell them to put it somewhere safe until the morning but no one answered it so that was useless too! So I then tried contacting the wife of one of my colleagues via Facebook in hope she'd read it and get him to give me the office's number or phone in himself but she obviously didn't go online that night so that failed too!
So I had no other option but to chance my fate and hope it'd still be there in the morning. And thankfully it was! Phew!
The rest of Thursday was rather uneventful - or "boring" etc... but on Friday John and I went shopping (once John had finally got his act together - he's really not well, the poor man!) at The Trafford Centre.
We were looking for a Christmas cake with royal icing and plenty of alcohol in it - not as easy as you might think! I'd already looked in Morrison's and Tesco's and turned out empty handed so I'm now resulting to looking in places like Marks & Sparks (no good), John Lewis (one very expensive cake) and Selfridges (also just the one very expensive cake). So next stop will be Sainsbury's and if we don't find one there I think we're just gonna have to go without cos I'm out of ideas! It's only fattening anyway and I don't need fattening up any further that's for sure!
One thing I did manage to find at M&S though was a nice cardi which will keep me nice and snug this winter! :-)
We also had a look for Christmas cakes in BHS but that was hopeless too and John didn't have any luck finding himself a dressing gown there either but I did manage to find two long sleeve tops and a new pair of slippers which John very kindly treated me to! :-)
So that was Friday.
The lovely Judith and I. © Jayne
On Saturday I went to TREC (picking Jayne, Gwen and Gillian up along the way) where I started off joining in the self-defence lesson given by Gavin. It was very useful and certainly an interesting experience being strangled and so on. :-) Then, after that, we went to the Samsi for lunch where I treated myself to a luxury o bento of karage chicken, teryaki salmon and mixed tempura. It was lovely and I shall definitely remember to have it again! I also got a bit better at using chop sticks which was an added bonus! :-)
Then, after lunch, Jayne and I had hoped to join Penny for her beauty workshop but she'd cut it short to join in with the party (it was TREC's 1st birthday) so we had a look in at the party as well but it wasn't to our taste so we went shopping.
First port of call was a shop I'd seen in the paper which I'd liked the concept of - it takes second hand clothing and redesigns them before flogging them back to the general public - but sadly it lived up to it's name, The Junk Shop, a little more than I'd hoped for!
So then we went around to Afflecks Palace for a browse where I bought myself a bracelet and then we wandered into the Arndale Centre but we didn't do much more than drop our jaws at the ridiculous prices of things!
So then it was time for tea and so we joined the others at The Shang Hi as usual but, when we got there, there was no room to be seen at the table so we went and found a table by ourselves which seemed to cause some offense or difficulty or something! And we were told to join the others where they'd all been forced to squeeze up into space where there wasn't really any. Anyway, as it happened, I wasn't feeling very hungry anyway (probably due to the luxury o bento I'd had at lunch time) and ended up just having the duck pancakes, some starters and then a couple of scoops of ice cream for pudding - a rather expensive do for £10.50! Not that I was really complaining - it's all horses for courses as far as I'm concerned.
A picture of the gang at Via, Canal St, Mancs. © Jayne
Then as Penny had wanted to let her hair down (like we needed any excuse!) we went into Canal Street for a few drinks and it'd got to 10pm before they started to turn the music up and I decided enough was enough and called it a night.
So it was back in the car and back home, via Southport and Tarleton to drop off the others, and I got home by about midnight I think and was in bed by 1am.
So, all in all, one of my more eventful weeks. Thank goodness I have tomorrow off to recover! :-)
P.S. Having Remembrance Day and Remembrance Sunday this week my playlist is The Best Of Silence. Click here to listen: http://www.we7.com/#/user/view-playlist!playlistId=1459942&m=fb

No comments: